Fires can happen at a moment’s notice, and without any warning. Because of this, it is important to have some type of fire protection at all times, whether it be your home or business. One of these fire safety options is the traditional fire extinguisher. It’s a very important tool to have to fight fires, however, if it’s not kept in good working condition, it will most likely be useless when you need it most. Yes, even fire extinguishers need some regular maintenance in order to do their job. To ensure that your fire extinguisher works in the event of a fire, you should follow these guidelines:
- Make sure that your fire extinguisher is readily available.
- Be sure that the fire extinguisher is set up properly so it’s easy to handle.
- Check that your fire extinguisher is adequately charged at all times. Frequently check the pressure dial to see if it needs to be charged.
- Make sure that the pull pin is properly secured in the handle and held in place by the tamper seal.
- Inspect the extinguisher for any cracks, dents, or rust on its shaft which may hinder its performance.
- Ensure that there are visible, legible operating instructions on the fire extinguisher in case of an emergency.
- Be certain that no modifications have been made to your fire extinguisher that may affect its performance.
If you fail to maintain your fire extinguisher, the resulting consequences can range from property damage to loss of life. In order to avoid problems when you desperately need your fire extinguisher, set a monthly maintenance reminder.
For more information about fire extinguisher maintenance, call CJ Suppression at 888-821-2334 or visit the website at www.cjsuppression.com.
CJ Suppression proudly serves Corona, CA and all surrounding areas.